You know how it goes, during the festive season everything is different. You don’t set your alarm. You eat what you want. You socialise. You have no schedule. It’s the end of the year so it’s too late to aim for anything in your life. All you can do is look back at what is already gone. Then the clock ticks over after midnight and a whole year starts. And with it comes a whole heap of expectations and goals. What you will eat. What exercise you will do. How you will sort your life out.
You look to the future and the task can seem enormous. How on earth will I stick to all of this?
Yet, in reality, you can only ever do one thing at a time. And that one thing is whatever you are doing right now. Not tomorrow, not yesterday. Just today. Just right now. And because you don’t have a time machine, there are no do overs. So what you are doing right now is the best that you can do. Ever.
So this year, how about trying something slightly different. Do this each day
- Bring your thoughts back from the big, life-changing goals.
- Put the book back on the shelf with the story of your past, that has already been written and can’t be changed.
- Look at right now. Look at the blank page in front of you.
- What one thing are you going to achieve today? What will you write on today’s page?
- At the end of the day, look back on what you wrote. Did you achieve it?
- If you did, cross it out.
- If you didn’t, write down what you learnt from today that will help you with tomorrow
- Write down one positive thing that happened in your day (you may need to look at something that felt negative and turn it around)
- Repeat each day from step 3.